Immortal Joy & Furrows of Pain
Posted in Matters of Urgency
September 12, 2012
6:30 PM | Lannan Center (New North 408)
Join Lannan for this special investigation of the Colombian conflict. The event celebrates the release of two books, one of photographs and the other of personal histories, that depict life in Colombia. Panelists will include photojournalist Stephen Ferry, whose work comprises Violentology: A Manual of the Colombian Conflict, as well as Sibylla Brodzinsky and Max Schoening, editors of the forthcoming Throwing Stones at the Moon: Narratives from Colombians Displaced by Violence.
Photographer Harry Mattison will act as moderator for the discussion.
Following the panel, please join us for a book-signing and light refreshments.
This event is free and open to the public.
Thanks to Georgetown’s Center for Latin American Studies, the Office of Communications, the Journalism Program, Umbrage Books, and Voice of Witness for their support.
Ferry speaking on the inspiration behind Violentology
- “In Cradle of Rebellion, Hope That Colombia’s War Might End: by Juan Forero. The Washington Post. 11 September 2012.
- Review of Throwing Stones at the Moon: Narratives from Colombians Displaced by Violence by Alissa Bohling,. Truthout. 11 September 2012.
- “Colombia Denies Peace Talks with FARC” by Colombia Reports. 21 August 2012
- “Decorated Colombia General Pleads Guilty to Corruption” by José de Cordoba. Wall Street Journal. 20 August 2012.
- “Indigenous Leader Killed in Colombia, Civil War Continues” by sarahv. Care 2. 15 August 2012.
- Slideshow of Violentology by Suzanne Shaheen. The New Yorker. 2 August 2012.
Unfortunately, video was not able to be taken at this event. We do have, however, a presentation from Sybilla Brodzinsky and Max Schoening at the Institute for Policy Studies on Tuesday, September 12.
Throwing Stones at the Moon: Narratives from Colombians Displaced by Violence can be purchased from McSweeney’s website.
Stephen Ferry’s Violentology: A Manual of the Colombian Conflict can be purchased from Amazon.